Mines can now demonstrate their commitment to responsible resource extraction and meet the demands of manufacturers requiring increased due diligence on the mined inputs for their products. Regulators and consumers are asking more industries to deliver responsible products to the market, especially manufacturers of jewelry, electronics, building products, and automobiles. Leading mining companies can now prove to their buyers that they are meeting these demands through an internationally recognized independent verification program - IRMA.
Why Choose SCS?
• SCS has 35 years of global auditing and certification experience in leading social and environmental performance standards
• We are IRMA’s launch-phase partner – helping to operationalize the certification system and certify the early-adopting mines
• SCS has extensive experience with certifications focused on responsible management of natural resources and stakeholder engagement (e.g. Accredited Certifier to the Forest Stewardship Council, Marine Stewardship Council, and Alliance for Water Stewardship)
• Industrial-scale mines can document their leadership and build value for proven responsible performance.
• Purchasers of metals and minerals can source from mines that meet a full array of leading practices in social and environmental responsibility.
• Local communities, workers, and civil society impacted by mining can have a voice in the process and convey social license for mines that are socially and environmentally responsible.
- Public Announcements
- Program Details
- Program Documents
IRMA is applicable globally to industrial mine sites and covers any mined material (excluding the energy sector - oil, gas, coal, and uranium).
Auditor Verified Self-Assessment
Mine sites can self-assess their performance against the standard for Responsible Mining v.1.0 using IRMA’s self-assessment tool available here: www.responsiblemining.net. Once this is complete SCS uses our qualified auditors to independently verify your score. This verified score can be kept confidential or be made public on IRMA’s Responsible Mining Map to demonstrate your commitment to responsible mining.
We are now offering full certification including on-site audits of mine sites by a team of SCS experts. The mine are being assessed to the full Standard which recognizes different performance levels (IRMA 50, 75, 100) and certification is awarded to mines meeting relevant best practice requirements. Status and associated claims are offered to mines beginning with those that meet core requirements.
Qualification for IRMA includes conformance to criteria under four specific categories:
- Business Integrity
- Planning for Positive Legacies
- Social Responsibility
- Environmental Responsibility
Self-Assessment and Request for AuditMine Site conducts self-assessment using the IRMA self-assessment tool
Mine Site requests a proposal from SCS for a verified self-assessment score or a full certification assessment
ScopeSCS scopes the project and prepares a proposal.
Client agrees to the scope and signs a work order.
An SCS account manager is assigned to guide client through the certification process.
Data CollectionClient provides access to the mine’s self-assessment data and supporting documentation.
Once sufficient data is collected, a desk-based or onsite audit is scheduled.
AuditThe SCS team conducts a desk based (verified self-assessment) or on-site audit (full certification audit).
The audit team and audit duration will be determined based upon the level verification/certification, complexity, and size of the mining operation.
Client responds to any non-conformities or new information requests.
The SCS auditor prepares a draft Assessment Report that details the findings of the audit, including nonconformities, and opportunities for improvement.
An SCS reviewer conducts a final review of the draft Assessment Report and makes the final verification or certification decision. Based on the level of verification/certification mine sites will receive a commensurate level of recognition which can include verified scores listed on the IRMA Responsible Mining Map up to full-certification recognition which will entitle the mine to full-certification claims and IRMA logo use.
To maintain standing in the program IRMA requires annual surveillance audits
- Demonstrate independent verification your mines are responsibly managed
- Provide transparency of your practices
- Show your continued commitment to improvement
- Helps buyers meet regulatory requirements for conflict minerals
- Meets and exceeds all conflict mineral regulations
- Reduce the risk of community and worker conflicts
Need more information? Fill the form and one of our representatives will get back to you shortly.